Adjusting to Amplification Classes
The process of adjusting to amplification begins with a hearing aid fitting, but sometimes does not end there. Training and counseling are available to make a smooth adjustment to new listening environments.
Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center offers a group session for adult hearing aid users. The Adjusting to Amplification class addresses the following topics:
- Adjusting to hearing aid use
- Expectations from a hearing aid
- Basic communication strategies
- Coping with difficult listening situations
- Facilitating communication with others
- What others can do to help the hearing impaired individual
- Assistive listening devices Individual therapy is also available for those needing to focus on a specific skill.
If you purchased a hearing aid through BHSC's Hearing Aid Dispensing Program, the Adjusting to Amplification Group Session is offered at no charge. If you purchased your hearing aid elsewhere, there is a small fee for the session. Hearing loss and aural rehabilitation may be made easier when family members are involved. You are welcome to bring a family member or a person you think may be helpful in your adaptation to hearing aids at no charge.
Ask your Audiologist how to get the most from your hearing aids!